Free shipping for orders over R3000, wine shipped in cases of 6. 


Your Cart is Empty

Syrah on Shale


The 2015 vintage led to early proclamations that it is a Cape classic, and the wines are certainly backing this up. In his fourth annual guide to South African wines, award-winning British wine writer and Master of Wine Tim Atkin says the 2015 vintage is “the best I’ve tasted in 26 years...”. A wet 2014 provided ample reserves for the vines to develop happily through the warm and dry summer leading to early, but full ripeness and beautifully balanced wines.

Vineyard notes

The fruit comes from a single vineyard, Bokkeveld shale site on the Gabrielskloof property. The shale is interspersed with a high clay component allowing for good water retention and a resultant riper fruit profile in the wine. Another factor that is a significant influence on our terroir is wind, and this vineyard faces the full brunt of the south-easterly wind providing just enough stress for the vines to show their true colours.


The fruit was hand-picked into small crates and transferred directly into our cool room where it remained overnight. 60% of the crop was destemmed with the remaining 40% left as whole clusters. The wine was fermented wild and aged in a combination of 225L and 500L barrels for 18 months, with 30% new French Oak used.

Tasting note

Plush and spicy the Syrah on Shale is the extrovert of the pair showing dark red fruit, fynbos and tapenade on the nose. The palate is sappy and full with juicy tannins and a long, fine finish.

Ageing Potential

Delicious now and into 2022.

Technical Analysis

Alk: 14.42% | RS: 1.88g/l pH: 3.48 | TA: 5.64g/l

Download a PDF version of this tasting note