Free shipping for orders over R3000, wine shipped in cases of 6. 


Your Cart is Empty

Syrah on Sandstone


The 2015 vintage led to early proclamations that it is a Cape classic, and the wines are certainly backing this up. In his fourth annual guide to South African wines, award-winning British wine writer and Master of Wine Tim Atkin says the 2015 vintage is “the best I’ve tasted in 26 years...”. A wet 2014 provided ample reserves for the vines to develop happily through the warm and dry summer leading to early, but full ripeness and beautifully balanced wines.

Vineyard notes

The Syrah from Sandstone site is mountainous and made up of broken Sandstone rock, making it incredibly tough for vineyards to grow. This merciless environment leads to low vigour and very small yields, resulting in a complex, unique wine.


The fruit was hand-picked into small crates and transferred directly into our cool room where it remained overnight. 70% of the crop was destemmed with the remaining 30% left as whole clusters. The wine was fermented wild and aged in 500L barrels for 18 months, with 30% new French Oak used.

Tasting note

The bouquet is savoury, with black olive, white pepper and violets lifting from the glass, all highlighting this as a cool climate, rocky vineyard Syrah. This spice is complemented by elegant, delicate purity of fruit and a tannin base that will ensure its longevity.

Ageing Potential

Delicious now and into 2022.

Technical Analysis

Alk: 13.72% | RS: 1.73g/l | pH: 3.47 | TA: 5.64g 

Download this tasting note as a PDF