A tribute to a single vineyard, Bokkeveld shale site on the Gabrielskloof property. The shale is interspersed with a high clay component allowing for good water retention and a resultant riper fruit profile in the wine. Another factor that is a significant influence on our terroir is wind, and this vineyard faces the full brunt of the south-easterly wind providing just enough stress for the vines to show their true colours.
The fruit was hand-picked into small crates and transferred directly into our cold room where it remained overnight. About 60% of the crop was destemmed with the remaining 40% left as whole clusters. The wine was fermented wild and aged in 500L barrels for 18 months, with 30% new French Oak used.
Plush and spicy, the Syrah on Shale is the extrovert of the Landscape Syrah pair, showing blackcurrant, fennel, roasted tomato and thyme on the nose. The palate is pure fruit, fresh acidity and fine tannins, each finely balanced making for a memorable, long finish.